So a few weeks ago I celebrated my 28th Birthday, and in lieu of that I want to share with you 28 inspiring and motivating lessons I learned this past year in business, success, relationships, money, health/fitness, and life.
1. Passion is everything.
It’s better to do something you love, and make very little money, than do something you hate and make lots of money.
But you can still do what you love, and make lots of money too. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
2. Life is shaped and defined by our perception.
Especially when things get hard. It’s never about our obstacles, but our perception of what those obstacles mean and how they can serve us that matters most.
3. We make a living by what we get, but make a life by what we give.
Some of the most enriching experiences we will ever have in our life will come from giving to someone else. Whether we give our time, give away money, give a smile, or give someone compassion and love.
And true giving is giving without any conditions.
4. Be the change you wish to see in the world.
The only thing you can change and have control over is you.
By changing YOUR world, you will change THE world.
5. Pain always precedes progress.
Not only on an individual level, but on a world level. Without pain, there can be no progress. Pain, when used in the proper context, will allow you to become more.
6. If you are an entrepreneur and run a business, and aren’t obsessed with creating more value for your customers, employees, and anyone involved in your business, you are in the wrong business.
7. Success takes time. You can’t speed time up.
You need the time to grow, to learn how to manage the challenges success brings, and to learn how to handle success emotionally and mentally.
What ever comes fast usually won’t last.
8. A truly successful business does 4 things.
- Fulfills the needs of customers in an ethical and empowering way.
- Provides opportunities for their team members and employees to grow, in an empowering and enriching environment.
- Provides the founder and owner with continuous inspiration, challenge, and fulfillment in pursuit of their overall mission and vision.
- Provides a good profit to either expand and create other business opportunities, improve the customer experience, provide team members with future opportunities, and to sustain the current business and weather any storms.
Without these 4 things, a business cannot and will not last.
Too many businesses put people before money, or money before people. Neither of which work long term. What works is when you make people and money equally important.
9. Money is NOT the root of all evil, but it’s how people use money that is.
Your can use money to start a war, suppress a nation, gain power and control, and to corrupt and manipulate other people for your own gain.
You can use money to fund a dream that inspires the world, advance your career, start a business that impacts thousands of people, give back to your favorite charity, feed a family, start a foundation, etc.
It’s choices about money that matter, not money itself.
10. Successful relationships with friends, family, coworkers, or with a spouse are all based on clear communication.
And clear communication means expressing what matters to you 100% of the way, and listening to the needs of the other person 100% of the way, without any judgment or attachment.
11. Love people for who they are, not for who you want them to be.
And if you can’t, then you probably need to move on and probably don’t really love them anyway.
12. Until you are happy with whom YOU are as a person, you will never be happy with your body.
Many people think that once they change their body, lose more weight, or get more toned, then they will be happy.
But it works the other way around. Be happy with who you are first, and then your body will change.
12. The number 1 reason people don’t follow their diet, and lose weight and keep it off, is because of emotional and mental self- sabotage.
13. Any ideal weight is completely arbitrary.
There is no such thing. Don’t let a magazine, another trainer, your friends, or your family tell you otherwise.
The ideal weight is the one that works for you.
14. There is a price for the prize. If you want to achieve anything great, you need to be willing to pay the price and pay it in full. There are no exceptions.
And the bigger the goal/prize, the bigger and longer you must pay the price.
There are no shortcuts for achieving anything meaningful in your life.
You must focus, dedicate, work, and give everything you have for as long as it takes.
15. Resourcefulness is the ultimate resource. If you are passionate, loving, determined, inspired, and faithful enough, you will find the resources to achieve all that you want.
16. Don’t wish it were easy wish you were better.
Wish for more skills not for less problems.
17. The greatest risk is taking no risk at all. This applies to relationships, love, money, your career, your business, and your life.
18. Action is the # 1 thing that gives you power in your life at any moment.
If you don’t want to “feel stuck” take action on something and anything RIGHT NOW. Action gives you momentum, opens doors that weren’t there, and exposes you to opportunities you didn’t see or have before.
Action changes how you feel, which cultivates more positives feelings. This perpetuates more action and more momentum.
Have you ever completed something you procrastinated on for months or maybe years? How did you feel after?
Most likely happy, accomplished, proud, free, excited, inspired, and motivated to take on more.
19. If you want to be successful in anything, find someone who has success in that area and get support and guidance from that person.
Whether that’s a life coach, business coach, a trainer, career counselor, family member, friend, or personal mentor.
You wouldn’t hike Mount Everest alone would you? Of course not, because you probably won’t succeed and you could risk dying!
Treat your personal success the same way, and find support from a mentor or coach for the journey ahead.
The quickest way to succeed in anything is to leverage the skills, knowledge, and experience of someone who has been there before.
And if you don’t have the money to take the support on, then trade with them. Find something that that person needs but they don’t have, and find a way to give it to them.
The most successful people in our culture have mentors and coaches to keep them on track.
20. To follow a diet successfully, you need to work on your emotional and mental fitness at the same time. Your mind and emotions drive and sustain behaviour.
21. If you want to change your body, your weight, or your health, then you need to do it from a place of acceptance and compassion.
Doing it from a place from hate, judgment, or ridicule never leads to lasting change, and will always leads to self -sabotaging behaviour.
22. Time management is one of the most overlooked aspects of success.
We all have 24 hours in a day, but how we manage those 24 hours determines our results and success.
Want a different result or outcome? Look at how you are managing your time.
23. Decisions determine destiny. Our ability to choose and decide is our greatest power as human beings. We have the power at any moment to make a decision to change the direction of our life at anytime.
24. Personal growth is one of the biggest needs we all have.
Whether that means we are growing spiritually, emotionally, financially, in our career or business, in our relationships, or with our health/fitness, or maybe in all of the above.
We all need to feel like we are growing, and progressing to feel happy and successful. Or else life becomes stale, unfulfilling, boring, and depressing.
Aim for progress not perfection, and you will live a happy and fulfilled life.
25. Success requires a balance between planning and taking big action. Planning and thinking things through can save you costly mistakes and save you lots of time. However, too many people get stuck in planning and never apply or “do” anything with what they know.
They get stuck in “analysis by paralysis” and never pull the trigger.
Plan and prepare as much as you can, but follow it up with massive action.
Knowledge is not power. Knowledge with action is.
26. Reflecting on what you are grateful for is one of the simplest exercises for achieving lasting happiness. Whether you write it down, say it in your head, or speak it out loud. Expressing gratitude immediately changes how you feel, gets you connected to what’s amazing in your life right now, and gets you away from what you think is “missing” or what “should” be in your life.
27. Live each day like it’s your last. I really learned this one when my Grandma passed away this year. She gave her heart and soul to everyone she met. She was here one moment, and then gone the next, and all in the blink of an eye it seemed.
It’s never about how long you live, but how well you’ve lived.
28. Your beliefs have immense power over you.
A belief is a feeling of certainty about something, based on what we have learned from the past. And everyday we are constantly looking for things to validate those beliefs, consciously and unconsciously.
What you belief you feel. What you feel, will determine what action you take or don’t take. And what actions you take or don’t take determine your destiny.
A belief is really our perception of reality. Many of our beliefs don’t serve us, and actually get in the way of living the life we desire and deserve.
But the cool thing is we can change our negative beliefs at any moment, and look for references to back up our new, empowering beliefs.