The season of deck-your-waist-with-extra-pounds is officially here.
So what are you going to do about it? Will you join the masses who faithfully gain 5 pounds between November and January? Or will you do something different this year?
It is entirely possible to avoid the dreaded holiday chub by following this simple strategy…
All About Power
To begin, it’s important that you approach your goal from a place of I can rather than I can’t.
Most diet and weight loss plans begin by outlining everything that you can’t eat. You can’t enjoy the buffet at your office holiday party. You can’t taste the fudge that your aunt Frances made. You can’t partake in the seasonal coffee drinks. You can’t, you can’t, you can’t.
It shouldn’t be surprising when the diet only last a few days before your inner rebel breaks out and defies all the rules by mowing through an entire plate of Christmas cookies in one sitting.
When you begin from a place of can’t, you forfeit all of the power.
On the other hand, when you approach your goal from a place of I can, the power swings back into your favor. Use these 3 steps to re-gain your power:
- Focus on positive action.
Rather than obsess over what you can’t eat this holiday season, I want you to take the positive action of exercising into your own hands. Every time that you complete a workout feel the surge of empowerment that comes with the accomplishment.
- Schedule positive action
- Reward yourself for positive action.
The next step is to concretely schedule your workout sessions. I advise that you exercise even more during the holiday season than normal, since you will be taking in more calories. If you normally exercise 3 times each week for 30 minutes, then plan to exercise 5 times each week for 45 minutes.
At the end of each week take the time to reward yourself for successfully completing each scheduled workout. Don’t use food as a reward, since you’ll be taking in extra calories as it is. A massage, a new outfit, a leisurely hour spent at a coffee shop, or even a well deserved nap are all great ways to reward yourself.
What You Believe
The people who won’t gain any weight this holiday season already know it. How? They’ve decided not to gain weight, and they believe it.
Do you believe that you won’t gain weight this year? Or are your past failures keeping you less than confident?
Let’s create a strong belief that you won’t be powerless to holiday pounds.
In his book, Awaken the Giant Within, Anthony Robbins explains 4 steps needed to create a belief:
- Step One: Identify the basic belief. I won’t gain weight this holiday season.
- Step Two: Reinforce your belief by adding new and more powerful references. This means focusing on the reasons that you don’t want to gain the weight. Get out a sheet of paper and list all of the cons to you gaining an extra 5 or 10 pounds over the holidays. Spend a lot of time on this step. Reiterate to yourself over and over why you don’t want to gain the weight.
- Step Three: Find a triggering event, or create one of your own. Disturb yourself. Try on your bathing suit, or better yet go out and try on bathing suits in dressing rooms with that awful lighting. Try on your skinny jeans. Try on last year’s cocktail dress. Try on that outfit at the back of your closet that you still can’t fit into.
- Step Four: Take action. Get started on your exercise program – right now. Taking action is the most important step, and the most rewarding.
Call or email me right now, I’ll help you get started on an exercise program and guide you step-by-step all the way to success. Who knows? I may even get you to your New Year’s Resolution before January even starts.
Give yourself the power to overcome holiday pounds – get started now.